Friday, May 20, 2011

Hoarders: A.K.A. My Children...

I've been tiptoeing around the subject for a few months now, blogging about it, then thinking some more, and I think it's time to pull up my bootstraps and get down to business. 

I'm talking about the need to simplify - for the sake of my sanity, and the sake of my children's overall well-being pertaining to creativity and imagination.  We have gobs and gobs of toys, but they are rarely played with.  It seems that the baby items, specifically are the worst for this - toys that promise to stimulate their budding minds and to create little geniuses (without a tremendous amount of parental effort), and yet, they are poked at for a moment and the baby goes back to playing with a spoon or string or some other household object.
Don't mind me, I'm just going crazy!!!

I have created a plan for myself.  It involves a garbage bag, a donation bag and a storage box.  I'm not going to go "all the way" and throw out ALL of my children's precious possessions (not yet, anyway) so I will consent to storing them in the garage, in the meantime.  My plan is to take every toy and decide whether it is truly junk - and I'll chuck it out - or, if it could be worthwhile to some other child, we can donate it, and if it is one of the "special" toys...I'll throw it in our storage box.

At the end, I hope to only have a few boxes of toys that we are keeping, and from those boxes, I will allow the children to pick a few small items to keep in the house.  The rest will disappear for the next few months... or forever...

So now that I've blogged it, I am committed.  I will report back later with further details pertaining to my progress.

2 comments:

Sara L said...

You go girl! I'm luvin it!

kathywithkids said...

do we get to see the progress? We start our homestudy to Foster and that requires that I do some "sorting" as well.